Art and culture
History | Matterella | Precetto | Mummie's Museum | San Pietro in Valle Abbey | Castles

Precetto was born around the twelfth century;  the oldest part still remains surrounded by dense forest and the defensive walls,  that enclose the town in a sort of triangle with the pentagonal tower.  In the middle of the village there is the Church of St. Stephen built in the sixteenth century by Cybo-Malaspina family’s, from the remains of a previous medieval church. It is accessed through a portal formed by two columns with Corinthian capitals and at the bases the symbols of Cybo and Church. Inside (baroque style) you can see a beautiful picture with the Nativity scene painted by Pierino Cesarei in 1559. In apse is positioned a paint of St. Stephen’s martyrdom by Giuseppe Rosi performed in 1759. Of particular value is the big  Baptismal Font with carved coats of arms of the Cybo. The Precetto as the Matterella around the sixteenth century,  begun to develop towards the plain. In this new part of the village, in 1702, was rebuilt the Church of Gonfalone by Edward Cybo. Inside there is a paint with the Virgin Mary and Two Saints and in the altar there is the Gonfalone’s Virgin  paint of the seventeenth century.